Thursday, May 12, 2016

Scaffolding by Seamus Heaney #BEDM

Hello! It doesn't look like I'll be able to do all the days this year in Blog Every Day in May, though that's ok! I'm still going to try and do as much as possible. Monday's topic was Food Glorious Food, here's a link to my most popular food post, the Pig Cake. Yesterday's topic was museums and for BEDM 2014 I did a post on my favourite museums which you can find here

Today's topic is Poetry. I liked studying English and poetry in school though since then I haven't read much new poetry. If you have any suggestions, please leave them below! I was at a wedding at the weekend and the reflection before the end was Scaffolding by Seamus Heaney. 

“Scaffolding” by Seamus Heaney

Masons, when they start upon a building,
Are careful to test out the scaffolding;
Make sure that planks won’t slip at busy points,
Secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints.
 And yet all this comes down when the job’s done
Showing off walls of sure and solid stone.
 So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be
Old bridges breaking between you and me
 Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall,
Confident that we have built our wall.

It's a poem Heaney wrote after a disagreement with his wife, about how even if scaffolding breaks, the wall is still solid and made to last (at least that's what I got from it!). It resonated with me though on another level, that it can be applied to friendships too. That even if we sometimes lose touch (So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be/Old bridges breaking between you and me) that it doesn't matter. As long as the love and support is still there, our friendship is still solid (Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall/Confident that we have built our wall). I have a habit of hiding away when I'm not feeling my best, so this (along with the fantastic day and night I had with friends at the wedding) was just perfect for me right now and really brightened my mood. Below is a video of Heaney reciting the poem.


Do you have any favourite poetry? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...