Monday, April 20, 2015

NOW That's What I Call Music! Collab with Behind Green Eyes Part 1

I love doing nostalgic posts. And one of the best things about them is the fact that Sharon from Behind Green Eyes and I will end up just gushing about all the memories associated with the post. So when I thought of doing a series based off looking at the older NOW That’s What I Call Music CDs and picking my favourite songs from that list, I immediately thought of Sharon and how fun it could be to do some collabs together. Her post should be out today as well and I'll link it when it's out  HERE IT IS!. We both went through our lists of the CDs that we owned and discovered that NONE of them overlapped!! Crazy but true. So today I'm starting with the first NOW compilation I owned, NOW 36. I was 9 when I owned this and it was the 3rd CD I ever owned!

NOW 36 released was 24th March 1997 and included 8 songs that hit the Number 1 Spot in the UK Music Charts. Disc one has a lot of pop and r'n'b songs while disc two is more of a mix of indie and dance (oh and Ant and Dec). I tended to stick more to disc one, it was more my taste at that age! Anyway onwards to the songs that have stuck with me over the years.


Virtual Insanity- Jamiroquai (Disc One)

This song definitely started my love affair with Jamiroquai, though it was another one of their songs on a NOW compilation that sealed that love (oooh, foreshadowing). I'm going through a Jamiroquai phase at the moment and I think listening to this song brought on the idea for this blog series. Plus, the video is super cool too.



I Can Make You Feel Good- Kavana (Disc One)

Oh I used to love this song so much! And how much of a heart throb was Kavana back in the day? *Swoon* I used to have posters of him on my wall! I still enjoy this song, but the video is pure cringe.



Breathe- The Prodigy (Disc Two)

Finally venturing over to the edgier Disc Two! I think I did listen to this on occasion, or maybe I'm just trying to make 9 year old me cooler than she was. Whatever the case, I do like this song now, though when they say 'Exhale', it sounds like 'Egg Sale' to me. Give it a listen and see if you agree.



Don't Speak- No Doubt (Disc One)

I looove this song, it's so emotionally charged. It's a great one to belt along to at the top of your voice.





Natural- Peter Andre (Disc One)

Even though Peter shared poster space on my wall with Kavana and I know I did listen to this song, it hasn't really stuck with me that much. I think I was more of a Mysterious Girl fan! The video above is hilarious though, why is he dancing in an airplane hangar?! And that hair, how was it ever a good idea?




Mama- Spice Girls (Disc One)

I add this song not because I liked it at the time, but because it was a double A Sided single, along with Who Do You Think You Are? and as a massive Spice Girl fan, I was always so annoyed that this was the one on the CD and not WDYTYA as I MUCH preferred it. I could probably appreciate Mama and the sentiment behind it now than I could at 9 years old. Still doesn't top WDYTYA, which made an appearance on NOW 37 instead. Dammnit!


That it's for this one! I probably listened to more of them when I was younger but they just have stuck with me that much. I should give Disc Two a listen actually and see if I prefer it now that my tastes have broadened a bit. 

The other NOW CDs I owned were 44, 45, 47, 49, 50 and 51. I don't know if I'll do a post for all of them, but if there's any one you'd like to see in a post (to compare and contract our picks) then let me know below. Or better yet, join in and do a post too if you think you'd enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. I loved Kavana, I had a massive poster of him in my wardrobe!! Do kids even have posters now?! Are there music magazines?! I had a quick listen to the latest NOW album on Spotify and it's just stuff you'd hear on the radio all the time, most of the fun of having a NOW album was finding the couple of elusive songs that you couldn't get anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't think there's anything like Smash Hits or Top of the Pops magazines anymore but I could be wrong! I had SO many posters on my walls! I also made a killing by selling extra posters I didn't want for 2p! Move over Richard Branson!

      I keep seeing the new NOW in shops and had a skim at the listings. I completely agree with you, as I'm sure future posts will show as there are so many songs I don't remember being on radio or very 'mainstream' that I ended up loving

      Delete
  2. Ahh, such a trip down memory lane! I had forgotten all about that Kavana song, despite loving it at the time, but as soon as I hit play I remembered all the words.

    Don't Speak is still one of my favourite songs. I love putting it on loud, when I'm home alone, and singing along.

    (It's Paula/@C_Musings, btw, stupid Wordpress won't let me log into Blogger blogs at the moment so comments are showing up Anon. :/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the Kavana song came up on the radio a few months ago, I knew all the words as well! Love when that happens.

      And Don't Speak is just amazing to sing along to, put all your heart and soul into it!

      [and Blogger actually got your name right too :) ]

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...