Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Christmas Tag!

I think I can safely say we’re well in the Christmas swing of things at the moment! Lovely Chloe from Nurse Fancy Pants tagged me for this and I’m looking forward to getting stuck in!

What is your favourite Christmas movie/s?
Home Alone! I do enjoy that, though I don’t think I’ve watched it in the past year or two, which is a shame! I’ve also enjoyed Elf, Muppets Christmas Carol and Die Hard, but honestly I’m not a huge film person. My favourite is probably one we had on VHS years ago, a short animated film called ‘On Christmas Eve’. There’s not talking in it but it’s beautiful and two years ago I managed to find it on DVD and I kept it a secret from my siblings until I made them sit down to watch it!




Do you open Christmas presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?
Morning all the time! My mother would never entertain the idea of opening presents before Christmas morning (or in the case of our birthdays, on the actual day), and to this day I still can’t open presents before the time! It makes it more exciting anyway to wait.

Do you have a favourite Christmas memory?
All my Christmases where spent at my Nana’s house, a tiny cottage in the middle of the countryside, it was always pretty cramped. I remember one Christmas, it was so so stormy, the power went in the house from Christmas Eve until St. Stephen’s Day. There was lots of fires (and probably lots of fighting that I don’t remember!) and on Christmas Day my mother went down to her mother’s summer house to finish the cooking (as there was a gas oven there) and discovered the electricity was working there, so we all packed up our presents and went to spend the night down there! It seemed like a massive adventure at the time, even though we only went a few miles down the road! Then there was 2009 Christmas, first time we got snow in ages! It was great to play with my younger siblings out in the snow.
                   19641_1299682447488_3880409_n 19641_1299682567491_2366655_n

Favourite festive food?
Hands down, Vanillakipferl! I only make this Christmas Eve, using Rachel Allen’s recipe, they’ve become a tradition in our house. Out of a Christmas dinner, the ham is my favourite and probably the favourite in all the house. Not a fan of traditional Christmas goodies like pudding, cake or mince pies. Raisins? No thanks!

Favourite Christmas gift?
Probably my V-Tech computer, I loved it so much! I did melt the front of it a tiny bit by getting too close to the fire! I’ve always enjoyed getting books for Christmas and a lot of the time I got very nerdy gifts, telescopes, microscopes, an atlas, other science kits. I got a Glo Worm one year too.
glo worm


Favourite Christmas scent?
Never really thought about this much before! Smell of a real Christmas tree is lovely and I like cinnamon and vanilla scents too.

Do you have any Christmas Eve traditions?
Christmas Eve is BIG in my house, it’s become a thing over the years. Because there’s always so many of us at dinner, my mother starts cooking Christmas Eve. I also do some baking, making mince pies and the vanillakipferl that I mentioned above. My mother also makes her home made Baileys. There’s music playing, presents are being wrapped, lots of family, friends and neighbours are popping in and at midnight, we have a mini feast of ham, gravy and potato stuffing (which my boyfriend thinks is weird, but come on, you can not have enough ham at Christmas time!). It’s just a lovely atmosphere and something I look forward to every year.

What tops your tree?
Oh dear, I have no idea! I’m never involved with decorating the tree at home. Growing up, we never had one, as my Nana’s house was tiny and cramped with all of us as it was! I’d hazard a guess that it’s an angel opposed to a star, I can see my mother insisting on an angel. My favourite decorations though are the Lego Santa, snowman and Christmas tree we’ve had for years as well as the mini TY Beanie Baby angel hanging on the tree!
lego

As a kid what was the one extravagant gift you asked for but never got?
Honestly, I don’t think there was much I never got. As a rule, we weren’t allowed to ask for bikes, they were reserved as birthday requests only and we were only allowed to list three gifts in our letters to Santa. I do remember always wanting one of the bears that you could decorate with markers and it would wash out, but can’t remember if I ever asked for them!

What’s the best part of Christmas for you?
Spending time with family and friends, especially now that I’m living abroad. Christmas Eve is my favourite time and I love just hanging about by fireplace with all my family. Also, the local annual carol singing is something I look forward to doing with my family, never taken too seriously and is always a bit of fun.
knitting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...