Thursday, March 13, 2014

Paul Hollywood’s Soda Bread

So I’ve made soda bread before, you can see that if you click right here. But my boyfriend is a massive, MASSIVE fan of soda bread and isn’t the biggest fan of the only kind we can find in the supermarket here in Manchester. So I decided to give it another whirl, this time going with a different recipe just to mix it up. I decided to you Paul Hollywood’s, which I found on the BBC food website, as I have never used any of his recipes before and was curious to try one of them. And comparing to the Rachel Allen recipe I used before, this one uses less ingredients as well, which is perfect if you want to try making breads but are intimidated by it.

bread1

Soda Bread

Recipe from Paul Hollywood

Ingredients

250g wholemeal flour

250g plain white flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

420ml buttermilk

extra flour for dusting

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200° C/400° F

2. In a bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.

3. Add the buttermilk and mix to a stick dough.

4. Tip out dough out onto a floured surface and gently roll and fold a few times until it comes together. No not knead as it is not necessary.

5. Shape the dough into a ball and gently flatten the top. Score a deep cross into the dough, to divide it into quarters (Irish legend is that this step was originally done to ‘let the devil out’). Dust top lightly with flour.

6. Place onto a pre-lined or non-stick baking tray and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

As you can see, I didn’t quite score my bread deep enough, but I’ll know better next time. I think from certain angles it looks like a little bum! I felt this one turned out better though than the last recipe I used, it didn’t seem to fall apart as much when I cut it, the Rachel Allen one was quite crumbly. I really liked the crust that formed on this bread as well.

bread2

DSC08366

Perfect, easy recipe to help celebrate the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...