Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween Sugar Skull Nails

If you were to ask people what did they associate with the Mexican Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) holiday, I bet most people would say sugar skulls or Calacas as they are also know. I love the idea and traditions that I know that surround Day of the Dead, how it’s a time for honouring the dead with edible sugar skulls, flowers, the favourite food and drink of the deceased and visiting the graves with these gifts. I love the colours and images used, so bright and fun and I couldn’t resist doing some nail designs.

DSC08112

DSC08109

 

DSC08110

Index Finger: Base Barry M Gelly Hi Shine in Guava, eyes NYC in Lincoln Lavender Square

Middle Finger: Base Catrice in Pinky and the Brain, eyes Angelica in Palma Violet, flowers from nail art set

Ring Finger: Base Essence in LOL, eyes Catrice in Blue Cara Ciao (blue), Maybelline Color Show in Solar Flare (orange), sequins from nail art set

Baby Finger: Base Angelica in Palma Violets, flowers are peel off nail art stickers

Thumb: Base Essence in Wanna Be Your Sunshine, eyes Maybelline Color Show in Solar Flare, bow from Dealz

Black and white used for all the nails are Barry M Nail Art Pens. When using, I give plenty of time for the base coat to dry, even an hour or two, before using. Allow nail art pen to dry before using a top coat (which is NEEDED as the nail art pen will rub and wear off)

I used the tutorial chart from Paper Thin Nails to help figure out how to do the skull outline, some inspiration from these nails on Maryam Maquillage and this video on YouTube from HelloMaphie. I had so much fun designing these and even though I want to do so many more Halloween looks, every time I look at them it just makes me happy! I think my favourite is the index finger, though I am really impressed with Catrice Pinky and the Brain, I had never used it before (I got it free off them when a nail varnish broke on me last year) and I was never inspired by just looking at it in the bottle.

4 comments:

  1. I love these!! I just pinned something similar, such a fantastic ides for Halloween nails. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I got the ideas and the inspirations I linked above from good ol' Pinterest!

      Delete
  2. Omg those are so gorgeous! I love the colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I really liked how the colours went well together, I'm glad I picked those!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...