Monday, July 22, 2013

BookTube-A-Thon 2013 Results!

So needless to say I am very tired today as I was up most of the night finishing the BookTube-A-Thon! Now I know a lot of people started once it hit midnight on the Sunday, it technically being early Monday morning, but I decided to take my days as waking days. So I started once I woke up Monday and the end of the BookTube-A-Thon was when I went to sleep last night. Which was around 6am! Partly because I couldn’t sleep as it was so hot. And partly because I stayed up late trying to finish as many challenges as possible! I like to pretend I was running Californian time.

I’m not going to review books here, as I will do that in my July Reads post at the end of the month. In this post I’ll be writing about what I read each day and what challenges I completed.

Monday

I was trying to finish a book before starting any new ones, so I continued reading that book. Also started the audiobook

-Continued reading Do Not Pass Go by Tim Moore, from page 175-273

-Started The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton audiobook, as read by Kate Winslet

Tuesday

Finished one book and started one of my challenge books, Tess of D’Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy. Picked this one as it fell under several challenge categories for me, including one my personal Reading Resolutions!

-Finished Do Not Pass Go, page 274-340

-Listened to some of The Enchanted Wood

-Started Tess of the D’Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy, page 1-17

Wednesday

I struggled a bit getting into TotDU, I set out to read about 100 pages a day so I’d have it finished by Sunday. I also started another book to help break it up a bit. This book didn’t fall under any challenges but I needed to read it next from my library pile so I could return it!

-Tess of the D’Urbervilles, page 18-95

-Started Cinder by Marissa Meyer, page 1-30

Thursday

Not a bad reading day, kept to my TotDU daily goal as well as getting through quite a bit of Cinder

-Tess of the D’Ubervilles, page 96-197

-Cinder, page 31-181

Friday

Completely slacked on ol’ Tessy here, mainly because it was so friggin hot that I couldn’t concentrate on it. But also because I got pulled in by Cinder!

-Tess of the D’Ubervilles, page 231-237

-Finished Cinder, page 182-387

Saturday

Didn’t get a lot of reading done, for a number of reasons, but mainly because my mother’s birthday and then my cousin’s 21st birthday party! I did start another book while travelling to the party though, my last book to cover all the challenges.

-Tess of the D’Urbervilles, page 238-257

-Listened to The Enchanted Wood

- Started Reached by Ally Condie on Kindle app on iPhone, 6%

Sunday

Sunday was my main marathon day! I was determined to get these books finished! I mainly read Tess of the D’Ubervilles during the day, I had got to 50% completed the day before and the story started to pull me in more, so I managed to read it faster. In between breaks of Tess, I went on the computer but also listened to The Enchanted Wood. Once I had finished both, I read the rest of Reached pretty much non-stop. And after I even started a new book as I couldn’t get to sleep!

-Completed Tess of the D’Ubervilles, page 258-508

-Completed The Enchanted Wood (page count 185)

-Completed Reached (page count 512)

-Started Lost at Sea by Jon Ronson, page 1-22

Total Page Count

Do Not Pass Go- 165 pages

Cinder- 387 pages

The Enchanted Wood- 185 pages

Tess of the D’Urbervilles- 508 pages

Reached- 512 pages

Lost at Sea- 22 pages

Total 1779 pages

Overall, not bad. I didn’t hit 2100, the amount needed to get the 300 page average but not too far off! I finished Reached at 5.20 am, and then read the first chapter of Lost at Sea before finally dropping off. I really enjoyed the whole BookTube-A-Thon, and now for the rest of my challenges!

1. Read a book with over 500 pages- Both TotDU and Reached come under this

2. Finish a series- Reached was the final book in Matched trilogy

3. Read a classic- Tess of the D’Urbervilles

4. Reread a book- The Enchanted Wood

5. Listen to an audiobook- The Enchanted Wood

6. Read a book that’s been on your shelf the longest- Tess of the D’Urbervilles

If I had realised that Reached was over 500 pages, I probably would have picked a different, shorter classic to read other than TotDU. I had toyed with the idea of reading Emma by Jane Austen. But I’m kinda glad I did pick TotDU, as I’m not sure when I might actually ever have picked it up, I don’t think I would have picked it for the classic book in my Reading Resolutions challenge. Overall I’m glad I did this, it pushed me to read a bit more than I usually do and to try a book that probably would have gathered dust on my shelf forever if I hadn’t picked it! I definitely recommend not listening to the audiobook in one go, use it to break up things between reads, as well as listening to it while doing other things as that you are still being productive!

During this challenge, I followed the BookTube-A-Thon Twitter, as well as watching Ariel and Raeleen’s YouTube channels. I watched Katytastic’s YouTube videos too. I also had Nurse Fancy Pants reading along with me, you should totally check out her blog! I’m looking forward to see how she faired with this challenge.

Did you do BookTube-A-Thon? If so, how did you do? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Fair play to you for reading Tess, never quite got around to that one myself! Really looking forward to reading Cinder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a struggle to get into Tess but once I did I was intrigued by the story. And Cinder was great! I really enjoyed it, I decided to read it then as Sharon had really liked it

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...