Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hedgehog Cake!

Growing up, my Mum only ever baked one thing: hedgehog cakes. Ok, so there was the Halloween version of it when it became a rat cake but that was it. Every time our school had a bake sale, Mum would make two of these and they would be the first things to sell out. There used to be fights over them! It’s incredibly easy to make. My brother asked me to make one for him to give to someone as a gift so I said I’d give it a whirl.

To make, use this recipe here but instead of using it for cupcakes but it in one round tin. Once it has fully cooled, cut in half vertically. For the icing, use 100g butter, 200g icing sugar and one tablespoon cocoa powder and beat together until smooth and uniform. Sandwich the two halves of the cake together with the chocolate buttercream icing. Coat the entire outside with the rest of the buttercream icing, run a fork along the cake to add an extra texture effect (I forgot to do this) and then add flaked almonds as the spikes. To finish, add Smarties for eyes and a nose. Very simple but impressive! For the Halloween version, Mum used to make the inside buttercream icing red, the outside icing black and added liquorice for a tail.

IMG_1497

IMG_1499

6 comments:

  1. This is the cutest! I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful. My mother's birthday cake speciality was either hedgehog cakes and train cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And no way, I've never heard of anyone else doing hedgehog cakes! That's so cool

      Delete
  3. Oh that is class!!!! Mine was a dab hand at dolling up the old rice krispie bun with cherries and marshmallows but I haven't seen a hedgehog cake in years!! Definitely bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Mum would also do rice krispie buns (or rather corn flake ones, she preferred them) but that was it! Never knew hedgehog cakes were so popular back in the day! They are very old school. Mum's recipe came from an old Sainsbury's baking book. She still has it, I think it's the only one she owns! Far cry from me and my stack of them

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...