Monday, March 4, 2013

DIY: Teacup Candles

Today’s DIY is something I made for Christmas but would be perfect as a Mother’s Day gift, which is this coming Sunday. After I had my tea party fundraiser back in October, I was left with loads of teacups. And while I love them and think they are pretty, I decided I wanted to give them away as gifts and then this idea came about! It’s very simple.

IMG_0797

DIY Teacup Candles

Supplies

Wax (mine was part of a candle making kit, you should be able to find it in craft shops. Though I also melted down some wax tarts a friend passed on to me)

Wick

Scented oils

Lollipop stick

Scissors

Clean teacups

Method

1. Melt the wax as specified with the instructions. I melted mine in a heatproof glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Your wax should come in beads or pellets, which make is faster to melt. However when I used the wax tarts (or you could use old bits of candles, probably bees wax too) I had to chop it up before melting so the pieces would be smaller, otherwise I would probably still be there trying to melt it!

2. Once melted, add in a few drops of the essential oil of your choice to give it a nice scent. If you have plain wax and want to colour it, you’re going to need oil based colouring I think, otherwise it won’t work.

3. Measure the amount of wick needed, leaving enough extra attached so that you can tie it around the lollipop stick, then dip the bottom half into the wax, pull out and leave to harden. It will help it stand up better. Tie to the lollipop stick.

4. Pour the wax into the teacup to desired level. Add the bottom part of the wick into the candle and place the lollipop stick across the top of the teacup, so the wick will stay in place will the wax hardens.

5. Once the wax has hardened, cut off the excess wick and voila! You have a lovely new candle!

IMG_0797 IMG_0797

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...