Wednesday, April 4, 2012

30 Days of Pinterest Project: Day 4

Make no mistake, if I thought I felt rotten yesterday, then it’s ten times worse today. I woke up with a dreaded feeling of ‘I have no energy to do today’s Pinterest post’. To make matters worse,I have no car today either.I was sat looking at my boards, thinking ‘I don’t have the motivation for this’ and ‘That looks good but I’m missing stuff for it and can’t travel’. I took to Twitter to moan and this is when Irish Girl In London sent me a tweet to say ‘Look up cold and flu remedies’ and sent me a link to a board. Halleluiah! So off I went and picked out a number of drinks that would help soothe my throat.

First up was my most dreaded, gargling salt water. I not a big fan of salt, I rarely add it to food (well,I do when cooking). And I’ve known about this tip for years but never really tried it because I feared the saltiness would make me throw up! I dissolved one teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gargled 3 times. Surprisingly it worked! And didn’t taste too bad.

DSC02625

Very interesting photo there!

A few hours and coughing episodes later, my throat was sore again. So I turned to this link on The Burlesque Baker blog (I must say,I love the name of this blog!). A Homemade Ginger Tea. Just a couple of things. I don’t like tea, sometimes I have a few herbal ones knocking about but that’s very rare. Also, I had no ginger or lemons. So far, so good. But then I remember the last time I was sick and that my friend brought me over some Ginger and Lemon tea. And I was in luck! There was one teabag left! And I had some oranges too. Here’s my recipe.

Honey and Ginger Tea

1 Ginger and Lemon Twinnings teabag

Honey

1/4 of an orange

Brown sugar

1 mug of hot water

Method

1. Combine water, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp sugar and orange in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Strain with a tea strainer/sieve in a mug. Add the teabag and let steep for a bit. If want, add an extra teaspoon of honey.

DSC02632

While this was certainly a nice relief for my head cold, I don’t think it did much help for my throat. So back to Pinterest I went!

And I found this Hot Coke Toddy from Squidoo. It was…interesting to say the least! I’d be willing to try it again, it wasn’t too bad but not something you’d jump to try again! Luckily my brother brought me to the shop to buy the ingredients.

Hot Coke Toddy

1 can of Coke

1 lemon

Fresh ginger

Method

1. Cut about an inch of ginger off (or more if you wish) and slice half the lemon into thin slices.

2. Pour the coke into the a saucepan along with the ginger and lemon. Over medium heat, simmer until a boil.

3. Pour into cup and drink hot.

DSC02636

When I got home later, I decided to go all out and just make myself a hot toddy! I used this recipe here.

Whiskey Hot Toddy

1 shot of whiskey

Honey

Citrus fruit (I used orange)

1 tsp brown sugar

Hot water

Method

1. Mix all the ingredients together in a mug/glass.

2. Enjoy!

DSC02637

I’m still drinking this now, I’m sure it’ll help. If not, at least it’ll help me sleep!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...