Thursday, April 26, 2012

30 Days of Pinterest- Day 25

The other day I picked up the Essence Marble Mania Nail Art kit. It contains 1 nail art brush (just what I need!), 2 sponges and 2 wooden sticks. The wooden sticks are used for water marbling nail polish. It’s something I’ve wanted to try for a while and had pinned from Hey, Nice Nails blog. And here’s the results!

DSC02954

Left hand

DSC02961

Right hand

I think it’s a fun idea, I wanted to try out some new colours I had bought during the week so I stuck with a neon theme (instead of trying the pastels again!). The results are very ‘Big Fat Gypsy Wedding’ish! I would try it again but with different colours. Here’s how I did it.

1. Fill a glass or bowl with warm or room temperature water (make sure it’s not too cold or else the nail varnish will seize a bit and it won’t work).

2. Prepare your nails with a base coat that is opaque (I used two thin layers of white but you can use another colour. Though I think white is best as it’s so neutral). It’ll give a better result, help the pattern come out clearer.

3. Tape around your nails (sides and above the cuticles). This will help make clean up a lot easier.

4. Once your ready, open the lids to all the polishes you want to use. It’s better to have all the lids open so you can work faster.

5. Drop the colours in the order you wish in concentric circles (so like creating ripples with a stone in a pond). I used 5 colours but you can use less and repeat a few times. Using the stick (or toothpicks), drag it through the polish to create swirls and designs.

6. Place your nail on top of the water, making sure it’s completely submerged. Wait for 10-20 seconds for the polish to dry (blowing in it will make it happen faster).

7. Using the stick, drag it around the outline of your fingernail to gather it all up (once the polish is dry, it will have the same sort of consistency as that manky milk skin you get when you overheat milk). Take your nail out of the water.

8. Repeat for all the nails. Once dry, remove the tape and top with a topcoat. Clean up around nails with nail varnish remover.

These are my favourites

DSC02954

 DSC02961

Here’s the colours I used, in order of what I dropped in first.

Missguided Summer Splash Nail Polish in MissChievious

Essence Colour & Go in Lime Up!

Essence Colour & Go in C’est La Vie!

La Femme Beauty in Ultra Yellow

No. 7 Stay Perfect in Me! Me! Me!

Top coat- Sally Hansen Insta-Dri

2 comments:

  1. wow breige its so so cool :) need to get my hands on the kit, may have to ask mammy to post it to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's a good kit but you don't need it to try it! Toothpicks will work fine too. But it's handy to get as I'm looking forward to buying the really thin nail art brush that comes with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...