Wednesday, March 14, 2012

25 Before 25: Fund a Kiva Loan

kiva

Funding a Kiva loan is something I’ve wanted to do for a while, ever since I first heard about Kiva on the ‘Stuff You Should Know’ podcast.

But first, what is Kiva? Kiva is a microlending site. It allows people to give loans of $25 to people who need it in developing parts of the world. It’s sorta like a mini bank loan. In it’s more basic form, you lend the $25 to person who needs the loan, who then eventually pays it back to you. You can then withdraw the money or use it to fund another loan. So it’s not a donation but a loan. It’s a tiny bit more complicated than that, so if you want to read more then CLICK HERE.

So I was super glad yesterday when I saw that Emma of fluff and fripperies had posted on her Facebook that Kiva are giving away FREE $25 loans to first time users! So I jumped at the chance to sign up.

For my loan, I chose the Estrella Dorada Group in Mexico, who I am glad got their 100% loan. The money they receive will help them get fresh ingredients and will allow for the business to expand. When you are choosing a loan, you can choose what sort of business you’d like to help. I only found out after that you can see loans that are about to expiring and help towards that, so you if you do sign up I’d suggest that you do that instead.

The Estrella Dorada Group (from Kiva.org)

If you would like to sign up, please click the following link and take it from there. There’s no catch, the only thing with the free loan is that when the money is repaid, it doesn’t go back to you. However, any loan paid with your own money you will receive back.

http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/breige3973

I will definitely make another donation with my own money, hopefully not too far into the future. Let me know if you sign up!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that link Breige, I've wanted to do this too but just couldn't afford it, great to be able to take advantage of a great offer like this!

    I helped Jesus with his car repair business. I mean, seriously. HOW many people can say that. Good luck Jesus!

    Thanks for this post x

    ReplyDelete
  2. MissGreenEyes, you're welcome! I was the same as you, really wanting to do it but not able to afford it. I'm going to save up now I think for the money of a new loan and then just keep it there, reusing it for new loans once repaid :)

    and lol, that's so funny! Pity Jesus wasn't a carpenter instead, would have been even funnier!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...