Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Favourite Songs of 2010: Part 1

I have a feeling quite a lot of my posts for the next week or so will centre around 2010!

I’m going to start with my favourite song for the year. The rest then will be in no particular order. Some aren’t that amazing, they were just so darn catchy that I couldn’t help but love it!

My favourite was Tightrope by Janelle Monáe. I saw her on Ellen in May for the first time and fell in love with her and her music. It’s like James Brown, crossed with Outkast, mixed a bit with Lauryn Hill and a dash of Prince. Incredible vocals, with jazzy funky soulful sounds that make you want to get up and dance. Which I often do. Her album The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III), which was released last year, is a mixed bag of different sounds but Tightrope is definitely my favourite. Sounds like the love child of James Brown and Andre 3000 and makes me get up and dance, clap my hands and slide along the floor. If you haven’t heard it, you should definitely listen!

 

I stumbled across Lights On by Katy B at the beginning of November when I saw it on a friend’s Facebook page. I don’t often listen to songs that others post, as I can be quite fussy when it comes to music but for some reason I was compelled to do so. I love the song! It kinda reminds me of UK Garage music from the early 2000s, mixed with some R&B. It features Ms Dynamite, which is, despite all the moaning on Youtube about her contribution to the track, an added bonus for me as I love her first album. This song was just released a week ago and Katy’s tipped to be the next big thing for 2011.

 

Starry Eyed by Ellie Goulding was one of the first songs I liked last year. It has a dreamy quality to it but the chorus also makes me want to dance. It’s not usually a song I’d like. I love the video as well.

 

Speaking of making me want to dance, that’s what Usher’s OMG makes me do when I hear it. Not the best lyrically, probably not my favourite Usher song either but it’s damn catchy!

 

It wouldn’t be 2010 without Lady Gaga! While I loved Bad Romance and probably preferred it over her other songs released, Telephone definitely stands out. For the amazingly crazy video and how catchy and dancey it is.I also love all the spoofs, covers and mixes. I like The Key Of Awesome and the office version spoofs. I like the classical instrumental version Aston do as well as the Lady Gaga vs Metallica bootleg.

 

Probably THE song for the summer was We No Speak Americano by Yolanda Be Cool Vrs DCup. It took a few plays to grow on me but when it did I listened to it for days. Everyone went wild when it was played in clubs. It’s short, catchy and a fun tune. Video is pretty funny too.

 

The last two songs for this post are ones I’ve already blogged about. Hollywood by Michael Bublé and Fuck You by Cee-lo Green. Click the links above to read about them!

3 comments:

  1. I love Usher's "OMG" so much, eeee <3 It makes me wiggle with happiness. I'm wondering if he's come out with a compilation album of all his singles or greatest hits or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I totally wiggle to it too, I flex my bum cheeks to the beats (tmi I know!). It's part of my 'seat dancing' routine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...